- Your Fingernails Stopped Growing? This Might Be The Reason
- Other Factors That Might Hinder Your Nails From Not Growing Are;
This post was most recently updated on June 9th, 2019
Fingernails Stopped Growing : Have you ever been faced with problem of slow nail growth? Do your nails grow abnormally or they suddenly stopped growing for no reason?
Well, worry not, this article will certainly address and put an end to that sudden halt in your nail growth today.
But before that, you might want to look back at some of the things you’ve been up to lately.
It could be that your fingernails stopped growing because of your lifestyle or there is a slight shift or change in your diet.
Was there any change in your diet? Do you bite your nails often? How often do you use nail polish? Do you even moisturize your nails?
Those are some of the few questions to ask yourself if you notice that your nails stopped growing.
In the account that you’re not guilty of any of the above, then it might just be a change in weather.
Are you still with me ? OK Keep reading..
Few years ago, i once had a friend whose fingernails stopped growing all of a sudden. It was so strange that she had to put a call to me for some sort of assistance.
Being a nail enthusiast that I am with a strong background knowledge on nails, we did some findings together.
We started off from her diet to what’s she’s been up to lately and found out that the cause was not far fetched. It was as a result of a nail polish she was using.
What am I trying to say here?
They are a lot of reasons why your nails isn’t growing or has stopped growing. One of such reason could be from that favourite polish you love so much.
It could even be from excessive usage of polish remover or probably because you don’t moisturize your cuticle and nails often.
Whatever the case may be, if you don’t stop that which you’re doing today, you’re few steps away to getting yourself in serious health challenge.
Recommended : Does Cuticle Oil Help Nails Grow? Learn How Today
So how do you know that which is causing your nails not to grow?
It is for this reason that we’ve decided to list out some of the factors that we think might hinder or stop your fingernails or toenails from growing.
Your Fingernails Stopped Growing? This Might Be The Reason
1.You file your nails the wrong way : It’s been said a thousand times on this blog that the way you file your nails matters a lot.
When it comes to the science of filing nails, it is recommended that you file them in one direction and not to and fro
Also, when you file too often or you’re probably using a nail file of bad quality, that constant filing can render your nails weak and might not grow well as expected.
2. Not moisturizing your nails often : Are you aware of the danger that comes from not keeping your cuticles and nails moisturized?
I guess you certainly don’t know. Well in case you don’t, here is what you stand to face.
When you do not keep your cuticle and nails healthy, don’t be surprised how disappointed your nails we become.
Of cause one of the obvious setback to this is that your nails won’t grow out well. No matter how hard you try.
So if your nails are not growing as expected, moisturize them daily using any essential oil – coconut oil before going to bed..
3. Your diet : What you eat matters a lot to your nail health. In fact eating balanced diet in the right proportion can help your nails grow out well.
Below are just a few of some food you should add to your already existing meal today for healthy nails.
• Eat more of vegetables : Veggy are an excellent choice for your nail health. Veggy like spinach are loaded with vitamin A, E, B alongside with iron.
This vitamins and other elements are the only thing your nails need for them to start growing again.
• Take more of protein : Incorporating protein such as egg to your diet is one of the surest way of keeping your nail health intact.
Taking more of Eggs helps to build up biotin level in your system which further helps nails to grow faster.
• Salmon : The pink looking fish eaten by many contain zinc and protein and help our body to absorb protein better.
Aside that, it is also loaded with copper, an important constituent present in collagen.
When collagen is present in your body, it helps to speed up the rate at which your nails grow.
• Broccoli : As it is with Salmon, broccoli contains an amino acid known as cysteine which helps the body to absorb protein.
Incorporating broccoli to your diet will not only help boast nail growth, but keep them healthy.
4. Stop biting your nails : Nail biting is one of the leading cause of nails not growing.
How do you expect to grow nails when all you do is bite them even before they grow out from the nail bed.
So if you must grow your nails out today, you must avoid that nail and teeth game. (I mean it)
Recommended : Is Cuticle Oil Good For Nails? Find Out Now
Here Are Few Ways To Stop Nail Biting
• Identify that which triggers you to bite your nails : Getting to know that which pushes you to go after your nails is one way of quitting this bad habit.
• Coat nails with bad tasting polish : Although this might not Put a stop to your nail biting for good, it’s a sure way to get you distracted
• Wear gloves : Putting gloves on always can help calm or resist the constant urge to pick at your nails.
Recommended : What Does Nail Biting Mean And Why You Shouls Stop Today
• Think healthy : Each time you want to go after those nails, think of where you’ve had your hands all day.
This might help deter you from going after them especially if you’ve been diagnosed of any hand related diseases before.
5. Avoid nail polish by all cost : I know this might not sound well to nail polish addict but the truth is, you should really stop using it often.
Over the years, nail polish has been a major cause of nails not growing well. Do you know why?
The chemicals used in producing this polish are so dangerous that they can render your nails brittle
Even if you must go after nail polish, always look at for those ones that contains vitamins.
More also, limit the way you wear them. Wearing them always may cause more harm than good.
Other Factors That Might Hinder Your Nails From Not Growing Are;
1. Weather : It is no longer a myth that nails grow faster during the warm weather than in cold weather.
This is because during cold season, circulation of blood reduces which lead to a slower rate of nail growth.
In the occasion that your fingernails stopped growing even when the weather is warm, then it could be other factors like age.
2. Age : Oh yes you heard me right, age is another factor that can hinder ones nails from growing.
The finger nails grows at 3 mm. That’s about 0.1 inch per month. As one ages, the growth rate finally decreases to 2 mm.
So if your nails suddenly stopped growing, it could be that you’re of aged and that the rate at which blood circulate to your nail region is now slow.
3. Trauma : Any damage or cut across the nail bed usually takes time to heal. During this period, growth of nails is usually slow.
If this is the case with your nails, then you really don’t have to bother yourself. As soon as the injury heals, growth is bound to resume.
4. Changes in nails : A sudden change in colour, texture and look of your nails might just be the reason why your fingernails has stopped growing.
Although they might look harmless at first, but one thing is for sure which is, they are certainly a sign of a disease.
For example, onychomycosis – fungal infection of the nails causes abnormal nail growth. In most cases, leads to no growth.
Having said this, lets take out time to look at some frequently asked questions on why your fingernails stopped growing.
My Child’s Nails Won’t Grow
If you had a child whose nails stopped growing or your sons nails are not growing, it likely that they’re biting their nails.
More also. You can as well take a look at the colour of their nail bed for possible sign of disease.
Fast Growing Fingernails Means What?
If your nails are growing at a super sonic rate, it therefore means that they’re receiving lots of stimulation.
When nails get stimulated, this is what happens. It triggers the flow of blood to the nail bed which further speed the rate at which nail grows.
How Fast Do Nails Grow In A Week?
Fingernails grow at an average rate of 2-3 mm a month, while in a week, the rate of growth is within 0.6 mm.
Although some people’s nails tend to grow more than others depending on the stimulation they got.
What Affects The Growth Of Nails?
A lot of factors can effect the rate at which nails grow. One of such factor is nail biting.
Other factors such as diet, hormone imbalance, poor nail care and excessive usage of nail polish can as well be a contributing factor.
Nails Not Growing Properly
If your nails are not growing properly, it could be that you’re lacking one or two nutrients in your body.
Try taking more of vegetables like spinach, broccoli which are loaded with vitamin A, B, C and iron.
What Makes Fingernails Grow Fast?
When they’re lots of vitamin C and E in your diet coupled with regular moisturizing, your nails is sure to grow out fast.
Recommended : Which Fingernail Grows The Fastest ?
One Nail Won’t Grow
If one of your nails has refused to grow, it could be that that nail is not getting stimulated enough or you’re probably suffering from one disease or the other.
The best thing to do when you notice such is to visit a dermatologist for proper checkup.
How Do I Get My Nails To Grow?
It’s quite simple to make your nails grow really fast. The first step to take is to eat more of vegetables.
Secondly, you should avoid biting your nails as much as possible.
Thirdly, keep your cuticle and nails moisturized always. Moisturizing helps keep them in good shape.
Recommended : Grow Nails Fast In 1 Hour In 3 Easy Step. Ways
Conclusion On Fingernails Stopped Growing
The rate at which nails grow varies from individual to individual.
Usually, nails grow at the rate of 2-3 mm in a month but in adult, growth rate is somewhat between 1.8 – 2 mm a month.
Why is it so? This is because growth rate changes as one ages.
This better explain why a child between the age 5-10 will experience rapid growth rate than an adult.
Aside that, one might experience a sudden halt in nail growth due to a lot of reasons.
It could be as a result of changes in seasons, poor personal hygiene, poor diets or lack of certain vitamins or toxins.
Other factor that might contribute to slow growth rate in finger nails could be as a result of biting your nails.
Another factor worth mentioning could be as a result of trauma. All this things and more might just be the reason why your nails has stopped growing.
Nevertheless, there are still something you can always do to remedy this, which is,
1. By eating healthy : Make sure to take lots of vegetables as they’re loaded with vitamins capable of speeding up nail growth.
2. Moisturize more : Keeping your cuticle and nails coated with moisturizer such as coconut oil can actually help your nails to grow out.
3. Exercise more : Exercise helps to keep the blood flowing. When they are circulation of blood around the nail region, growth of nails is bound to happen.
4. Let your nails be : Sometimes, all you need is a break from nail polish. Allow your nails to breath well so that they can grow out nicely.
So that’s all you need to know about growing nails. If you’re still having issues with slow nail growth or your fingernails suddenly stopped growing, its high time you see a doctor.
If you find this article helpful, please kindly share it with your friends. Thanks..