Every product you see here has either been used by us or independently selected by (obsessive) editors. As an affiliate of Amazon, Anything purchased through our links may earn us a commission at no extra cost to you.
Contents On This Page
- 1 What Is A Foot File
- 2 How To Use A Foot File Grater Or Scraper
- 2.1 Step 1: Preparing The Solution
- 2.2 Step 2: Soaking Your Feet
- 2.3 Step 3: Drying Your Feet
- 2.4 Step 4: Scrubbing And Filing Your Feet
- 2.5 Step 4: Check For Unfinished Rough Skin
- 2.6 Step 5: Keep Them Moisturized
- 2.7 How To Clean Your Foot File/Pumice Stone
- 2.8 How To Take Care Of Your Feet To Prevent Them From Getting Cracked And Dried
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3.1 What Do Nail Salons Use To Remove Dead Skin?
- 3.2 Is It Bad To Use A Foot File?
- 3.3 Should You Use A Foot File On Wet Or Dry Feet?
- 3.4 When Should You File Your Feet?
- 3.5 Should You Soak Your Feet Before Filing?
- 3.6 Can I Use A Cheese Grater On My Feet?
- 3.7 Is It Good To Remove Foot Calluses?
- 3.8 How Do I Permanently Get Rid Of Calluses On My Feet?
- 3.9 What Is The Best Foot Callus Remover?
- 3.10 1. Naturalico Electric Callus Remover
- 3.11 2. Emjoi Micro-Pedi 3D POWER Callus Remover ( with unique 3D Motion)
- 3.12 Wrapping Up On How To Use A Foot File Grater
How To Use A Foot File Grater: Purchasing a quality foot file is such a great feeling for anyone who wishes to file away rough edges off their heels, caused by consistent pressure we make them go through on a daily basis.
Unlike our nails, our feet are one part of the body that is often overlooked despite putting them through stress every day.
Having a clean feet says a lot about you so it’s only wise that you keep them neat, clean and ready for the sandal season.
On the other hand, dirty feet don’t only look unattractive but also have the tendency of collecting dirt which may expose you to a lot of danger than you least imagine.
Follow me as I walk you through on the step by step procedures on how to use a foot file grater or scraper to give your feet that tender loving care it deserves.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links and if you decide to make a purchase through the links, we may get a commission from Amazon at no extra cost to you.
What Is A Foot File
A foot file is a file designed especially for the feet. It is a file with long handheld handle with an exfoliating sandpaper-like surface for removing dead, tough skin from our feet.
Foot files come in different shapes and style and each of the styles has a specific purpose. For example, while a foot file with a rough, Microplane surface can be used to file off dead skin, that with a fine surface can help keep the surface of the feet extra smooth.
The purpose of using a foot file as part of your regular foot care is to help keep your feet and heels smooth and also, for removing calluses off your feet.
Benefits of Using a Foot File
Unlike pumice stone, using a foot file has its own benefits aside just aiding us to scrape off rough skin from our feet. Continue reading to learn more about the benefits embedded in using foot files when done correctly.
- Using foot files helps to keep our feet clean and looking their best
- Using a foot file can help improve the blood circulation of your feet
- Using a foot file can also help prevent many foot-related diseases
- Regular filling (at least twice a week) can also help to improve oxygen supply to the feet.
- Regular foot filing can also help prevent foot pain from calluses.
That being said, let’s now look at how to use a foot file grater for your feet but before I do so, the below items is what you’ll need.
Items You’ll Need
- Filing tools
- Cleaning and drying accessories
1. Filing Tools
As you may have already guessed, a foot file is one of the filing tools you need. Not just any foot file but one that is durable and easy to use. Using an electric foot file will help you get that smooth and soft skin you want.
If you’re looking for a powerful electric foot file for your home use, then consider purchasing this ( Amope Pedi Perfect Wet & Dry Rechargeable Foot File) from Amazon
2. Cleaning And Drying Accessories
Before you go ahead to file your feet, you’ll need to clean then soak them first. Below is what you’ll need.
- A bowl: This is very important for soaking of feet. For this purpose, you’ll need to get a bowl that is big enough and that accommodate your feet
- Warm water: Warm water helps soften the skin of your feet
- Salt: Epsom salt (Such as Magnesium Bath Flakes For Body & Foot Soak) has it’s own healing properties so you”ll be needing this as well
- Essential oil: Adding one or two tablespoons full of any essential oil into the bowl containing warm water will help keep your feet moisturized during the filing
- Soap: Any soap will be fine. You can even decide to use shampoo if you like
- Towel: To wipe off moisture off your feet after cleaning
Once you’ve got all the items ready, you can now proceed to clean your foot.
How To Use A Foot File Grater Or Scraper
It’s easy to use a foot file to file away rough skin from your feet if you know what you’re doing. If you’re new to the whole thing, then the below steps will help you out.
Step 1: Preparing The Solution
Now that you’ve gotten all the items ready, it’s now time to prepare the solution in which you’ll soak your feet in.
Here’s what you need to do
- Fill your bowl with warm or lukewarm water. The water shouldn’t be more than half of the basin.
- Add your salt and essential oil into the basin. Don’t add too much, one tablespoon full each should be fine.
- Then follow it up by adding your soap to the bowl. Mix it up until it begins to form a lather
Step 2: Soaking Your Feet
Now that you’ve prepared the solution, it’s now time to soak your feet for it to be soft enough to be filed.
Here’s what to do
- Immerse your feet inside the basin containing warm water and allow your feet to stay right in there for at least 10 – 15 minutes
- Soaking your feet helps soften the skin around your feet and makes it easy for them to be easily filed.
Note: This step is very crucial and it shouldn’t be skipped for any reason. Also, don’t soak your feet more than 15 minutes. Soaking them anything more than this will cause them too soft and filing them may pose a problem.
Step 3: Drying Your Feet
Once your feet are fully soaked, it’s now time for you to take them out and dry them with a clean towel. When drying, care should be taken not to wipe off the moisture completely from your feet, leave them a bit moist to avoid injuries during the process of filing.
Step 4: Scrubbing And Filing Your Feet
Now that you’ve dried your feet, it’s now time to scrub and file them. To achieve this, you’ll have to make use of your foot file (an electric foot file works pretty well) for this.
- Take your feet and examine the part needed to be filed.
- Sit in a position where it will be easy for you to file off the dead skin and calluses
- Take out your foot file, with a downward motion, gently buff the rough areas
- Keep at it until there are no more rough skin, also avoid buffing soft regions to prevent them from bleeding
- Do this for your other feet and ensure to stop once you begin to feel any burning sensation.
Step 4: Check For Unfinished Rough Skin
Once you’ve successfully scrubbed and filed your feet, do a quick check to see if there are any rough edges, if there is, file them once more. One way to know if there are rough edges is to move your palm over your heels, that way you’ll know if they need more filing or not.
Step 5: Keep Them Moisturized
Once you’ve double-checked and found out that there are no more rough edges or calluses, it’s now time to keep your feet moisturized.
Before you do so, ensure to wipe off excess filings with a damp, wet towel then apply a thick moisturiser (such as O’Keeffe’s Healthy Feet Foot Cream from Amazon) to your feet and massaged, gently.
Note: To keep the moisture locked in, ensure to wear 100% cotton socks to keep your feet warm and soft.
How To Clean Your Foot File/Pumice Stone
Cleaning and maintaining your foot file is a must if you want to keep the health of your foot in shape. If you do not take time to clean your foot files after use, you may end up battling with bacteria and fungal infections.
To clean, take a bowl and pour in some quantity of water. Add liquid soap into the bowl. Now use a soft brush to brush off the surface gently. Brushing the surface will take away those dead skin off the surface. Do this then hung to dry. Some foot files have a hole which means they can be hung to dry.
Note: Bar soap should not be used to clean the surfaces of your foot file as this might get stuck and difficult to clean.
Now that you’ve learned how to use a foot file grater plus how to clean the file, here’s how to keep and prevent your foot from getting cracked, dried and soft always.
How To Take Care Of Your Feet To Prevent Them From Getting Cracked And Dried
Many people know how to file their foot but only a few know how to truly care and prevent their feet from getting dried and begins to crack.
Here’s how you can keep your feet looking their best
- Keep them moisturized daily but avoid getting moisturizers in between your toes
- Avoid putting shoes that will cause your feet any form of discomfort. Only wear shoes that fit
- Limit how you wear open-toe shoes as well. These shoes don’t provide the needed support your foot needs
- Clean them as well with warm water and soap and don’t soak them for too long a time
- Always ensure that your feet are well dried before putting on socks
- Lastly, keep your toenails trimmed straight across always with a quality nail clipper(such as Harperton Nail Clipper Set) Failure to trim them straight across will lead to painful ingrown toenails
Read Also: How Often Should You Get A Pedicure?
Frequently Asked Questions
What Do Nail Salons Use To Remove Dead Skin?
Various salons have different ways of removing dead skin. Some may either use a foot file or callus remover, others may prefer to use pumice stone but if you ask me, then I’ll advise that you use both. Using a pumice stone after a foot file helps to keep the skin of your heels smooth and soft.
Is It Bad To Use A Foot File?
If you’re asking whether it is bad to use a foot file then the answer is NO. But then again, not all foot files are good enough to be used. For example, using a metal foot file may cause your feet more harm than good.
Although it may give your feet that smoothness but the danger afterwards is usually fatal. So to be on a safer side, It’s best that you go after electric foot file or pumice stone.
Should You Use A Foot File On Wet Or Dry Feet?
Unless the product you intend to use is designed in such a way that it can file dry feet, if not, don’t ever use a foot file on dry feet. Using foot file on dry feet will cause you more pain and may lead to injuries.
However, don’t keep your feet too wet rather, they should be moist a bit for them to be filed. Once you’re done filing, don’t forget to keep them moisturized.
When Should You File Your Feet?
There isn’t any universal time as to when to file our feet but here’s a quick tip for you. Only file your feet once the needs arise.
If you’re the type that constantly put your feet through pressure on a daily basis then file them once or twice a week. If you don’t put them through stress, then its okay to file once or twice in a month
Should You Soak Your Feet Before Filing?
Yes, you should soak your feet in warm, soapy water for at least 10 – 15 minutes before filing them. The softer they are, the easier it will be for you.
Hell, No. Using anything that tends to peel off more skin like cheese grater shouldn’t be used on your feet at all.
Is It Good To Remove Foot Calluses?
Yes, it’s a good thing to always ensure that dead skin is taking off our feet and that involves removing calluses as well. You call use a callus remover for this purpose.
How Do I Permanently Get Rid Of Calluses On My Feet?
There isn’t a permanent remedy to getting calluses of your feet rather than maintaining good feet hygiene and ensuring to keep them moisturized always.
What Is The Best Foot Callus Remover?
Our feet go through a lot on a daily basis and its only natural for them to get work-out. Once they’re overstressed, they may begin to develop calluses.
Once they begin to develop calluses, you’ll need to take them out by applying a callus remover. Applying callus remover to your feet helps to take away dead skin from your feet. Although they may be lots of callus removers out there, below are quite a few of the ones I recommend.
1. Naturalico Electric Callus Remover
This Naturalico Electric Callus Remover is powered by internal rechargeable batteries with an awesome speed of 40 rotations per seconds.
Having such a magnitude of rotations helps remove calluses as quickly as possible. Aside from that, this callus remover can be used for both wet and dry skin. Click HERE to see what others are saying about it.
2. Emjoi Micro-Pedi 3D POWER Callus Remover ( with unique 3D Motion)
If you’re looking for a more sophisticated callus remover that can be plugged directly to a power supply and very consistent, then you should consider buying this. This callus remover is twice as effective than the previous one and to think that the roller rolls 47 times and removes calluses without at once is mind-blowing. Click HERE to learn more about its awesome features.
Wrapping Up On How To Use A Foot File Grater
As you can see, it’s really not that difficult to use a foot file grader or scraper once you’re equipped with the right knowledge and that’s what this post has done justice to.
Although they are lots of foot files out there, you should know by now that not all of them is best for your feet.
However, if you’re unsure on which to use, then you should consider buying an electric foot file or a pumice stone as the case may be.
Now that you know how to use a foot file, please kindly do us a favour by SHARING this post with your friends? God bless you as you do so. Cheers.