- What Causes Nails To Split Or Break?
- Various Ways On How To Fix A Broken Natural Nail At Home
- Steps On How To Fix A Cracked Nail Bed?
This post was most recently updated on May 21st, 2019
How To Fix A Broken Natural Nail At Home : Before we proceed with the various ways on how to Fix a split nails, lets look at these real life scenery
Let’s assume you where at some point a chronic nail biter, then you met James who admonishes you on why it’s important to grow healthy natural nails, you oblige to James’s request and decided to grow nails naturally for the first time in your life.
You’ve succeeded in growing that nails up to 3 mm like every others in the Nail gang community and boom, the inevitable happened.
You lost those sets of beautiful nails and felt very disappointed. You wanted to cry because you’ve given your all to those nails and all you could get in return was some annoying painful split nails.
There’s this big party coming up during the weekend in your neighborhood and its just few days away. You already had that sets of beautiful natural nails that anyone could die for. All you needed was to add some sparkle to them so that they can glow even in the dark.
You walked into the nail salon like the boss lady you’ve always been. You want to be the only hand model with flashes of camera all over you.
So you opt in for some nail makeover, it was successful as usual and you were already feeling like a runway super star.
On your way home, you snag those nails, your dream of becoming a super star at that big event came to a standstill.
You screamed, you cried but none of those stuffs could bring back your nails.
In life, shit happens, we get our heart broken, same way we get a broken or split nails. when this happens, all you need is step by step procedures on how to fix a broken natural nail.
Read Also : How To Get Long Nails In One Week In 2019
You’ll agree with me that at some point in our lives, we might have experience one or both of the scenery we painted above, some might have experience worst to say why others might just be at the verge of getting theirs..
But in all, there are always a way to remedy all of this which we are going to reveal real soon. read on..
Although, there are a thousand and one way on how one can fix a broken nail at home without breaking the bank, it is imperative for us to know what broken nails are and the likely causes of split or a tear of the nails.
What Are Broken Nails?
According to health-line, our nails might split, snag or tear due to nutrient deficiency, stress which can be physical or through accidentally.
Split or broken nails can be painful especially when the nail broke in middle or a split from broken nail bed.
Whichever the case may be, there are various ways you can adopt to repair a split nail down the middle, vertical nail split, nail split horizontally and the worst of all, split nail bed.
Before we go into the various ways on how to fix a broken natural nails at home, let’s quickly look at some of the causes of split nails.
Read Also : How To Grow Nails Fast In 1 Hour In 2019
What Causes Nails To Split Or Break?
There are a lot of reasons why people get their nails broken. One of the obvious reasons why we may experience split or tear in our nails is as a result of
1. Using harsh chemicals.
2. Overexposure to moisture.
3. Using Nails as tools.
4. Excessive buffing of nails.
5. Weather condition.
Read Also : What Does Nail Biting Mean?
1. Using harsh chemicals
Every now and then, We toss in Acetone over our nails without paying much attention to the impending damage it can cause to the health of our nails.
Do you? i guess you don’t.
Acetone which happens to be a liquid solvents for removing nail polish contains harsh chemicals that can weaken our nail plates and cause them to split every now and then. See what Huffpost.com is saying about Acetone
2. Overexposure to moisture
If you’re that type whose nature of job allows your nails to remain submerged always in water then your nails are likely going to split every now and then.
Overexposure can make the skin and nails to be weak and brittle. When this happens, the nails are bound to bend, split or broken.
Read Also : Which Fingernail Grows The Fastest ?
3. Using Nails as tools
Using your Nails as a tool to get things done such as using them to scratch through the silver panel at the back of a drug box or merely using them to pick at your teeth can make them brittle and eventually cause them to break.
4. Excessive buffing of nails
Excessive buffering every now and then can as well cause them to split. Buffering back and forth and not in one direction weaken the strength of our nails and eventually cause them to break.
5. Weather condition
Since it is usually cold during the winter, there are varying changes in humidity as well which might cause our nails to split.
This is because during winter, our nail plate becomes dehydrated leaving the whole surface prone to peeling.
Now that we know what causes our nails to tear or split can we at least move to the subject matter? OK good
Various Ways On How To Fix A Broken Natural Nail At Home
Fixing or mending a split nails doesn’t take much of your time and its simply not that expensive. In other words, everyone can afford it.
What’s even more interesting is the fact that you don’t have to literally file those nails out completely and the items needed to mend those nails are easily available at home.
Read Also : Best Way To Clean Your Nails In 4 Simple Ways
Isn’t that interesting?
Who would have thought that one can fix his or her broken nails at the comfort of his or her home using a teabag? Well in the absence of this, one can choose to opt in for some tissue papers as well..
In fact Fixing broken nail with tissue paper and teabag is one tool that has saved many and their importance to the life of someone who just broke a nail cannot be overemphasized.
Below are just a few out of the numerous ways or methods to fix a split or broken fingernails
Method #1 : How To Fix A Broken Natural Nail At Home With Tea Bag
To fix or repair a broken nail using teabag, be sure that your nails are plain (that is without polish). If they are polish on them, be sure to wipe them off with Acetone polish remover.
Steps To Take To On How To Fix A broken Natural Nail At Home Using Teabag
1. Be sure you hands are fully washed with warm water or soap so as to remove any oily stains on those nails.
2. Pat dry with a clean towel. Be sure your nails are clean, Polish free and ready to go.
3. Then cut open the teabag with a scissors or any sharp objects and empty the tea leaves in it. We wont be needing that for this DIY.
4. The teabag should be cut to the exact length and width of the tear or split nails. cutting them in the shape of a rectangle is most preferable.
5. Then cover the surface where the split occurs with a nail glue after wish the cut teabag should be slightly placed on the spot where there’s nail glue. This can be done using a tweezer or a tiny pair of scissors.
6. When the teabag had been successful placed, allow it to dry. You can add one or two more nail glue to make it stick very well.
7. With the help of a buffer, gently file out the rough edges on the nails.
8. Finally, you can decide to apply any polish or nail art of your choice, the choice is entirely yours.
Method #2 : How To Fix A Broken Natural Nail With A Nail Coat
This method is quite similar to the teabag method, the only difference is, it employs the use of base coat instead of glue.
Steps To Take
1. As usual, be sure your hands are washed and free from any polish.
2. They should be wiped to dry after which a base coat should be applied to the area were there is tear or split.
3. The base coat should be allowed to dry for some minutes before rolling in another beads of base coat.
4. After a while, buff gently using a nail buffer to smoothen the surface and also to remove excess base coat.
5. You may decide to apply color polish thereafter or just any nail art you deemed fit.
Method #3 : How To Fix Broken Nail With Tissue Paper
Like we’ve earlier stated, tissue paper can as well be used to fix or repair split nails in the absence of teabag. The steps to take to achieve this are the same with the teabag procedures above.
Method #4 : Repair Split Nails With Acrylics
This method can be applied to minor split that doesn’t in any way have any physical damage to the nail bed.
Like it is with every other methods, if you are not satisfied with the aforementioned steps given above, or probably in a hurry, you can considered fixing fake nails.
Fake nails are readily available in any cosmetic or beauty shops and they come in various sizes. If they are not in various shapes and sizes, they can be filed easily to any desired shape of your choice.
Steps To Take
1. As usual, hands should be kept cleaned and Polish free.
2. Apply nail glue on the surface of your nails.
3. Then gently place the acrylic nails over your nails, apply little pressure on them so as to stick very well to your natural nails.
4. Buffer using nail buffer to remove any excesses before coating.
5. You can decide to coat with colored Polish or just let them look the way they where.
How about fixing a small chips on your fingernails?
Well in the case that the damage to your fingernails isn’t as elaborate as giving them a special treat like the ones we’ve been discussing since, gently buffering them might just be what you need.
Buffering should be done towards the direction where the split occurs and it should be in one direction.
During buffering, please avoid filing them back and forth. this weakens the strength of your nails the more and may cause them to break sooner than expected.
What that being said, some persons might want to go all natural like being real. At this point, the only option left for such people is to remove the entire nails and allow them to grow back naturally.
That way, they’re not only letting go of their split nails, they’re creating rooms for stronger nails to emerge on its own.
Are we still together? OK good
In the account that you accidentally cracked your nail bed as a result of a tear on your nails, what can you do to remedy this? Read on to know what to do.
Steps On How To Fix A Cracked Nail Bed?
To fix a broken nail beds as a result of a snag on your fingernails, do the following.
Read Also : Long Nail Beds And Its Importance To Nail Growth
Step 1 : Take a scissors or nail clipper that has been sterilized either with antiseptic such as dettol to cut the snag nails off completely up to the point you had the cracked. Don’t cut too dip.
Step 2 : Dip the affected nails in cold water for at least 20 minutes to reduce the pain. Dipping your nails in cold water helps to regulate blood flows.
Step 3 : After the cold water has soothed the pain, A little DIY of a salt solution is all you need.
Step 4 : Take at least 2 desert spoonful of refined salt and drop them in a small bowl containing warm water.
Step 5 : Dip the affected hands into the bowl and let your nails sits comfortable in the salt solution for another 20 minutes. The reason for this is to kill any bacterial or infection.
Read Also : White Fingernail Beds, Causes And Symptoms
Step 6 : This should be repeated for at least three to four times alongside with antibiotic drugs. the drugs should be taking orally.
Monitoring And Evaluation
After successfully administering the aforementioned DIY using salt solution, watch out for signs of puss, redness or swelling around your nails, if there is any, kindly visit your doctor for further investigation or prescription.
Now we know just the right treatment for detached nails and nail beds, can we at least look at some actionable ways we can adopt to prevent our nails from regular wear and tear.
How To Prevent Our Nails From Splitting Always
1. Moisturize nails and skin around the cuticle with moisturizer such as cuticle oil, coconut oil, olive oil or Shea butter.
2. Keep nails free from moisture. Overexposure of nails at this point should be avoided.
3. Avoid using harsh chemical like Acetone nail polish that can stripped your nails of their natural look.
4. Avoid or refrain from biting your nails. if you’re into chewing your nails, you really need to stop doing so now.
5. In the case of weaker nails, taking biotin supplements should make them stronger.
6. Eat food rich in vitamins. Vegetables are an excellent food to consider because they contain the necessary vitamins that your nails need to grow healthy.
7. Lastly, Exercise regularly. regular exercise enables blood to flow to all path of our body.
Wrapping Up On How To Fix A Broken Natural Nail
If you’ve been following us from the beginning of this post up to this point, you would have read that fixing a broken natural nail at home doesn’t really cost much.
What’s more interesting to know is the fact that this treatment can be done at home with almost anything ranging from teabag to base coat and most surprisingly, tissue papers.
Now that you know just the right methods to adopt as to fixing a broken natural nail when next you had a broken or split nails, it is wise to also learn ways to prevent them from occurring. cheers…