For every procedure or product, there are things that are needed to make sure you get what you want in the end. There are different manicure procedures available for nail beautification. The three manicure procedures that have been in demand are nail polish, gel nails, and dip powder. Each of these manicure procedures has its own method of application and products that are used. In this article, you will be informed of all that concerns nail primer and dip powder manicures.
To be on the safe side concerning your nail and to avoid unnecessary expenses, the question that pops up in your mind is “do I need nail primer for dip powder?“. Yes, you need to apply nail primer for dip powder. Primers will remove any excess oil and grease on the nail plate, which causes your dip powder not to adhere to the nail. It also prevents nail bubbles for better adherence.
What Are Dip Powder Nails?
Dip powder nails are nails that are polished using dipping the finger into a colored powder method which gives color to the nail. Some nail technicians or manicurists no longer use the dipping finger method to avoid issues of infection as many people tend to dip in the same pot or container. Brushing the dip powder onto the nail is the safer adopted way to apply it.
Dip powder nails are also referred to as SNS nails. SNS which is an acronym for Signature Nail Systems is a specific well-known brand under the dip powder technique. Because of its popularity among other brands, it is interchangeably used for dip powder nails. They can be said to be a mongrel of acrylic and gel nails because it is as durable as acrylic nails yet flexible as gel nails.
Dip powder nails are not exactly the same as acrylic nails though some technically refer to them as acrylic nails. Dip powder nails are more flexible and have a natural appearance than acrylic nails. Dip powder nails are light in weight than acrylic nails. Dip powder nails are to be handled with care when it’s time for removal, preferably it’s best to visit a salon when you want to remove it.
Dip Power Manicure
This is one of the fastest and safer beauty treatments given to the nails which involves brushing dip powder onto the nail with a brush or dipping the nail into colored powder. This manicure is meant to last for weeks and is considered safer than other nail techniques which involve UV lights. The powder doesn’t peel off, especially when nail primer was applied before putting it on. Dip powder can be applied on natural nails or on an artificial tip.
The procedure for carrying out a dip powder manicure is fairly easy and simple
1. Remove any existing product on your nails – If you have an existing nail product basically a polish, it should be removed following the appropriate method to avoid damaging your nails.
2. Use an electric or manual buffer to prep your nails – After removing the existing nail product then you used a buffer to prepare your nails. The buffer helps to enhance the outer surface of your nails, making them consistent and adding shine to your nails.
3. Apply nail primer sparingly – nail primer is applied according to the nature of your nail. If your nail is resistant to adhesion then a little more can be applied but if not a little should be applied. Just enough primer for the nail should be applied to avoid problems. When applying the nail primer make sure it doesn’t touch the skin surrounding your nails.
4. Dip each finger in a finely grated pigmented powder of your choice – your fingers might be dipped in the colored powder or the dip powder be brushed onto your nails. Depending on your nails your finger may need to be dipped or brushed twice or thrice.
5. Finish with a clear sealant – The sealant used to finish the manicure should be colorless that is clear or transparent to avoid conflicting with the color of the dip powder already applied. The sealant close and protect the work done on the surface of your nail. It brings about a glossy appearance on the layer of your nail.
6. Brush off excess powder off your hands with a brush – this makes the manicure look neat, clean, and attractive.
7. Wash your hands – remove any remaining dip powder that got to your hands during the manicure process.
What Is Nail Primer Used For?
Before you paint your nails, you have to prime them. Nail primer is applied to the nail bed or the visible part of the nail. It creates a smooth surface for your nail polish to adhere to and prevents it from chipping or peeling. The purpose of nail primer is to give you a clean base that’s ideal for painting on top of.
So what exactly is nail primer made of? In most cases, it’s a thin liquid with a consistency similar to that of water. Nail primers are available in pharmacies and beauty product stores in both drugstore and department store brands. The price can range considerably depending on the brand, but you’ll generally find that they’re very affordable.
Some are tinted slightly pink or white so that they blend into your natural nails and look like they’re part of your own skin. Tinted primers can be helpful in disguising discoloration or small imperfections in your nails so that they don’t show through when you paint them. There are also clear versions if you want to keep your nails
Benefits Of Nail Primer
Primer means “first coat” which indicates that its the first product to be applied on the nail plate before other procedures to have a better result. Nail primers are only applied to natural nails.
The benefits of using a nail primer are as follows:
1. Adhesive – the function of a primer is to join two surfaces that naturally don’t stick together well. A primer molecule possesses two sides. One side is attracted to the natural nail plate while the other side is attracted to the product, thereby making your polish adhere strongly to your nails.
2. Increases longevity – a primer makes your polish or dip powder last long without chipping, lifting, or removal.
3. Cleansing – it removes oil and grease from your nail plate making it clean and ready for application of any type of nail polish.
4. Base coat – it is better used as a base coat which is applied before putting on polish but can’t be used as a sealant.
5. Prevents nail bubbles – applying a primer will help you avoid the appearance of tiny bubbles on your nail which makes the nail polish not relax or adhere well.
Types of Nail Primer
Nail primers are in different types and each of them possesses a particular quality that makes them distinct. Any of the primers should be used based on the result you wish to get after checking out its ability.
The two different types of nail primers that can be used during this manicure process are:
1. Acid-Free Primer
Has a sticky quality and acts as a double-sided adhesive for gel, acrylic, and dip powder nails. Too much application of this primer can make it lose or decrease its adhesive ability. It is safer to use than an acid primer. It works by creating a short-term change in the pH of the natural nail making it closer to the pH of the product which makes strong adhesion possible. This is the primer that acts like a double-sided sticky tape.
2. Acid Based Primer
It removes excess oil from the nail plate. It was formulated for persons with oily nail plates. It dries so fast when applied but using it continuously or re-priming the same nail with acid-based primer can lead to thinning of the nail plate. This primer works by creating tiny miniature holes on the surface of the nail plate which gives the product chance to unite and stick to the nail.
Nail primers are not meant to be applied to artificial tips since they can create cracks in the plastic. Only apply to your natural nails.
Best Nail Primer For Dip Powder
1. Saviland Nail Dehydrator and Non-acid PH Bond Set
This nail primer prevents lifting and reduces nail oil. It is an acid-free nail primer. It works with all nail products and helps products stick to the nails. This primer has a 4.9-star rating on Amazon.
Check out Saviland Nail Dehydrator and Non-acid PH Bond Set on Amazon
2. Aimeili Nail Prep Primer
It prepares nails for strong adhesion. It has the quality of preventing nail art or polish from lifting or breaking. It’s friendly to dip powder manicure. There’s no need for UV or LED lights for drying.
Check out Aimeli Nail Prep Primer price on Amazon
3. Morovan Acid Free Primer
It removes grease from the nail surface and possesses sterilization ability. It is acid-free which means that it does not cause harm or burn nails when applied. This primer is guaranteed to last for more than 30 days when applied correctly with the nail product (polish, dip powder, or gel). It works like a double-sided tape that sticks nails and products together for a long period of time.
4. Mia Secret No-Burn Acid-Free Primer
Possess oil removal ability. It is acid-free and does not burn natural nails or cuticles. It increases adhesion between the nail and the product. Guarantees durability for nail polishes, acrylic powder, dip powder, and gel systems.
Check out Mia Secret price on Amazon
Do You Need Bond for Dip Nails?
Yes, you do. Bond is a material that’s used to strengthen the layers of your manicure. It can be added to your dip powder nails and acrylics, or it can be a stand-alone product. Bonds can help your nails stay strong and keep them from chipping for a long time.
Dip powder manicure is known to be a good nail treatment that will save you time and money, as you will basically have to go through it at least once a month. Knowing the nature of your nails will also aid you in your choice of primer and color to make use of.