Contents On This Page
- 1 What Is Nail Care?
- 2 What Is Nail Care And Why It Is Important
- 3 What Is Nail Care And Its Purpose
- 4 Nail Care Materials Or Tools
- 4.1 What Is Sterilization In Nail Care
- 4.2 What Is Disinfectant In Nail Care?
- 4.3 What Is Sanitation In Nail Care?
- 4.4 How Do You Sanitize Nail Tools?
- 4.5 What Is Nail Care Services
- 4.6 What Is The Purpose Of Nail Care?
- 4.7 How To Take Care Of Foot Nails
- 4.8 How To Take Care Of Hand Nails
- 4.9 Nail Care Procedure
- 5 General Or Natural Nail Care Tips
What Is Nail Care: If you’re into growing nails as a lifestyle like me, then you should understand better the importance of nail care and the various ways to go about it.
Wait a minutes
Why should we even care for our nails in the first place if I may ask?
Well, if you’ve been listening to the news lately, you’ll agree with me that our nails harbour a lot of dangerous germs and serve as a hideout for bacteria.
This bacteria’s when ingested into our body through our nails, they may rupture sensitive parts and then alters the entire body system, which can either make us sick or pose a serious threat to our health.
What’s more important to know is that our nails are like a road map that can tell whether we are sick or not.
Read Also: How To Get Long Nails In One Week In 2019
Lines across the nails, a little bump here and there, curved nails looking like a spoon and a yellow colouration on the nails may be early signs of severe disease.
Pale or white nails can signal serious health conditions such as anaemia, liver disease, or malnutrition.
Yellow nails are a sign of fungal infection which can lead to more severe health conditions such as lung disease or psoriasis.
Blue nails occur when there’s a shortage of oxygen in the body, particularly in the nail bed region. Having a blue nail is a sign that one has emphysema. Emphysema is a serious lung disease.
How about split nails? When your nails are dry and brittle, they split, which simply indicates early signs of thyroid disease.
Read Also: What Does Nail Biting Mean?
All of the above are just a few of what we stand to face if we do not care for our nails.
Now let me ask
Would you instead take good care of your hands and foot or face the consequences?
I bet you’ll think twice when answering this.
If your answer is YES, then adopting a daily foot or hand care routine should be your thing as from today.
Wait a minute
I know you’re probably asking yourself questions like
What are healthy nails? Or What do healthy nails look like?
Let me answer that for you.
Healthy nails should be consistent, it should be free from bumps, pits, or grooves, and it should have uniformly aligned colours. Most preferably, a pink colouration per say. These are the only true attribute of all healthy nails.
Can we do a quick check on our nails right away?
Turn to your nails, can you spot any change? Is there any sign of ridges, bumps, pits, or strange colouration? If there is, then this is the time to see a doctor.
With that being said, let’s quickly look at the meaning of nail care so that we can know just how to take care of our feet and hands at home.
But before I proceed, It will be wrong to dive at what nail care means without breaking it down for you to digest. Even if you know what it means, some persons don’t so Shall we? OK good.
Read Also: How To Fix A Broken Natural Nails At Home
What Are nails?
Like we all known, nails are a modernised form of claws in primates, covering the finger and toes of humans. These nails we are talking about here are made up of keratin, the same material our hair is made of.
Is the definition of nails clear enough or I should explain further? OK great.
Let’s now look at what care means.
What Is Care?
According to the Cambridge Dictionary, to care is to shield something or someone from impending danger.
Here’s another definition of care by the Oxford Dictionary. To care means to provide that which is necessary or to maintain something.
Simply put, when we talk of care, we should be looking at it in this manner.
To protect, maintain, give attention to or deal with a problem.
Having said that,
What Is Nail Care?
Nail care simply means to protect, maintain, or give special attention to the fingernails and toenails. Caring for your nails is as important as taking in food into your body.
Let’s look at it this way.
Why do we eat? To keep fit and healthy.
What then happens when you fail to eat? You’ll fall sick right?
In the same vein, if you want to live a healthy life, then you know exactly what to do now.
In fact, research has shown that people who engage in proper nail care routine tend to have a longer life span compare to people who don’t.
When you take proper care of your hands and nails, you don’t only have rest of mind; you also safeguard yourself from the numerous diseases that may arise as a result of dirt underneath your fingernails.
Having established this, let’s look at the importance of nail care.
What Is Nail Care And Why It Is Important
Infections of the nails, on the other hand, can be a pain in the butt, early signs of a fungal infection include yellow spots underneath your finger or toenails.
Under severe occasion, your nails will begin to smell very bad, and if left untreated, your nail bed may start to lift. I guess you wouldn’t want that?
Let’s take another turn to look at nail care services.
Nail Care Services
To care for feet and hands at home, you’ll be needing some essential nail care tools like nail clipper for clipping long nails, nail buffer for filing rough edges, cuticle pusher for pushing cuticle backwards, etc.
If you’re that busy type that hardly has time, then you should visit the nail salon often where you’ll meet nail care specialists who’ll help you care for your nails without taking much from you.
Read Also: 12 Natural Home Remedies For Nail Growth
This specialist performs various operations or treatments on their client’s nails. If they’re not working on your fingernails (manicure), then they’re probably grooming your toes (pedicure)
What Is Nail Care And Its Purpose
As a manicurist or pedicurist, giving your client a beautiful appearance and look should be your utmost goal.
To accomplish this, his or her nails should be well-groomed, underneath nails should be cleaned to remove dirt which is capable of causing disease.
When you do this, you are not only fulfilling the purpose of caring for their nails; you’re instilling a kind of joy in them.
At the end of the routine, you could leave them with one or two daily tips for nail care or probably tell them some nail treatments at home like soaking nails in warm water containing salt during a snag that may likely cut across the nail bed.
Read Also: White Fingernail Beds, Causes And Symptoms
What To Look At For When Caring For Your Nails
Whether you want to seek the help of a specialist or you want to do it yourself, you should pay attention to the following signs on your feet, legs, or hand.
You should check whether
1. They’re cuts
2. They’re swelling in any parts
3. They’re slight changes in nail colours etc.
In the case that any of the above is present, the best thing to do is to seek the help of medical personnel depending on how serious the signs are.
If they’re not that serious or just about to surface, you can decide to remedy the whole situation at home with a DIY solution containing saltwater with warm water for 2-3 days.
When the problem persists, or condition is way beyond your control, then you need to see a doctor or dermatologist as the case may be.
Read Also: Which Fingernail Grows The Fastest?
Best Time To Perform Nail Care
As far as caring for our feet and hands at home is concerned, the best time to execute or carry out nail care should be after a bath.
It can as well be carried out by merely emerging hands or feet in warm water for about 15 minutes. The reason for this exercise is to ensure a soften nail.
Nail Care Materials Or Tools
Nail care materials or implements are those sets of tools used to carry out nail care routine. They can either be in the form of wood, plastics or metal.
When they’re made up of wood, it is advisable to dispose of after each use. When they’re of metal, sterilising them should be done before and after use.
These nail implements use to take care of our nails includes nail cutter, nail filer, nail brush, cuticle pusher, pumice or footstone, etc. Let’s take a quick look at some of the nail care tools.
- Nail cutter: This tool is a must-have for everyone who wishes to care for his or her nails properly to trim down nails that have grown too long. Long nails act as a breeding ground for bacterias, so it’s wise that you trim them a little using quality nail cutter.
- Nail file: This is another handy tool commonly used by mani-pedicurist to file down excess nails. This implements consist of grit level of various sizes which can be used on natural and artificial nails.
- Cuticle pusher: The usefulness of this excellent tool is such that it can’t be overemphasised because, with it, your cuticle is in safe hands. To push overgrown cuticle, all you need do is to make sure that your cuticle is first appropriately moisturised.
- Cuticle nipper: This is another useful tool for nipping out annoying hangnails.
- Foot file: Another fantastic tool for removing dead skins or calluses from your feet.
Here’s a post that might be of help to you. We’ve explained everything you need to know. [ Nail Care Material: The Complete Guide]
What Is Sterilization In Nail Care
What Is Disinfectant In Nail Care?
To disinfect means to sterilise while a disinfectant is a substance that kills viruses, germs, etc. Cleaning nail implements is a crucial aspect of nail care that should be given close attention so as not to encourage the spread of bacteria from one nail implements to our nails.
What Is Sanitation In Nail Care?
How Do You Sanitize Nail Tools?
What Is Nail Care Services
What Is The Purpose Of Nail Care?
How To Take Care Of Foot Nails
Taking care of foot nails and the ones in our hand are pretty the same except for some few slight differences that are almost unnoticeable.
For example, since we can’t go a day without using our hand to grasp something, it is, therefore, advisable to clean them every day. That of toenails can be cleaned 3 times a week, depending on the nature of your job.
Read Also: How To Grow Nails Fast In 1 Hour In 2019
To trim toenails, be sure you’re using a nail clipper to trim those nails straight across. Trimming shouldn’t be too close to the flesh.
After each trim, be sure to file the ends of each toenail with a nail buffer to smoothen rough edges that are likely to harm you.
How To Take Care Of Hand Nails
Taking care of hand nails is quite a stressful thing to do, especially for those whose nails grow out of proportion.
To trim, it is advisable to use a nail clipper. Clipping shouldn’t be too deep as this might cause injury. Nail injury can be excruciating, especially when it has to do with traumas of the nail bed.
After each trim, buffer gently using a nail buffer to trim to remove rough edges. During buffering, be sure it’s in one direction and not the other way round.
When you buffer your nails back and forth, you render them weak. A weak, brittle nail is prone to break anytime soon.
Read Also: Long Nail Beds And Its Importance
Nail Care Procedure
As it is with other parts of our body, nails should be cared for as well. How do you care for your nails when you don’t know the right procedure to take? Well, this nail care procedure should walk you through.
Steps To Take
1. All necessary items such as nail clipper, nail buffer, etc. needed for nail care should be provided.
2. A basin containing warm soapy water should be made available
3. Soak hands or foot in the warm soapy water for about 15 minutes.
4. Rinse hands or feet in clear water, then towel try.
5. Place those clean hands or foot on the towel and gently remove any dirt underneath the nails.
6. Trim then buffer nails when necessary.
7. Lastly, wipe the excesses away from those nails with the towel after trimming and buffering then moisturise hands and nails using moisturisers such as coconut oil.
General Or Natural Nail Care Tips
1. Keep nails dry: Wet nails serve as a breeding ground for most bacteria, keeping them clean and dry all the time will not only prevent them from breaking, but it will also give them a sparkling look.
Also, exposing your nails to moisture all the time may cause them to break every now and then.
2. Protect your nails: Wearing gloves while doing the dishes is a sure way of keeping your nails secure against chemicals in your cleaning agents.
3. Moisturise always: Keeping nails moisturise always does not only strengthens your nails, but it also keeps them healthy.
To moisturise, apply a little quantity of either coconut oil, olive oil or Shea butter on the skin around your cuticle and nails then kindly walk your hand through in an oval manner. Also, this should be done daily.
4. Trim regularly: Nails should be routinely trimmed at least one in a week. During trimming, nails should be cut straight across.
Before trimming, hand and foot should be submerged in warm soapy water to soften the nails.
5. Avoid chemical: Avoid using harsh chemicals such as Acetone polish remover on your nails. If you must use a paint remover, you should go for those that are chemical-free.
6. Don’t pull off hangnails: When you spot an annoying hangnail hanging down your nails, don’t pull them off with your teeth, Instead, use a nail clipper or scissors to trim them off.
7. Push cuticle, don’t cut: Avoid cutting your cuticle. When you feel they’re getting too long, it’s advisable to push them back then to cut them off. When you cut your cuticle, you indirectly inviting bacterial to come to dwell in your hand.
Conclusion On What Is Nail Care
You see my dear, Taking care of nails naturally at home does not cost much, and its something almost anyone can do.
You can choose to do it yourself if you’re less busy or visit a nail care salon to help you out with it.
Now that you know what nail care means and the various nail care routine, it’s now left for you to decide on which end of the rope to stay.
How has this post helped you? Or you want to add to what we’ve said so far, please don’t hesitate to drop them down using the comment box.
Also, don’t forget to SHARE this post with your friends using any of the below buttons…