- What Is A Split Nail?
- Types Of Ripped Nails
- Fingernail Keep Splitting: Causes
- Your Fingernail Keep Splitting? Here Are Ways To Prevent It
- Other methods you can adopt to prevent your nails from rifting parts include;
- What Causes Fingernails To Split Down The Middle?
- How To Fix A Vertical Split Nail/Vertical Split Nail Repair/Split Nail Down The Middle
- Split Nail Down The Middle Treatment
- How To Fix A Split Nail Bed
- Nails Splitting Vertically Vitamin Deficiency/Splitting Nails Vitamin Deficiency
- How To Fix A Split Toenail Beds
Fingernail Keep Splitting: If your nails are always dry, they’re said to brittle and when this happens, a split is bound to happen.
Dry brittle nails are the major causes of split nails. How then can you prevent your nails from getting dry? You’ll find out soon in this article.
What you’ll learn
In this article, we are going to tell you the exact reason why your
1. Fingernails keep splitting
2. How to treat and stop your nails from splitting
3. And when to see a doctor.
But before we do that, here’s a story for you.
A few years ago, I once had a friend back then in high school who is always at my beck and call.
Whenever there are strange looks on his nails, I’m always the first person he showed it to.
Maybe that’s because I was the only one growing and keeping nails then.
I suddenly became a consultant to him. A consultant with no degree at that.
There came this day, I was at the balcony of my hostel receiving cool breeze, he walked to where I was and showed me the latest development.
Behold it was a split on his nails. I could tell he had had them on for quite some time now mere looking at them.
Do you know the annoying thing about split nails? is that they catch on things easily and injure people they’re not meant to.
As usual, he was waiting patiently for me to speak. Probably waiting for me to recommend something for him.
I looked at him and asked, do you do dishes always? Do your hands stay in water often? Or if he bites his nails.
The answer I got was somewhat between the questions I asked so that was how we figure a way out and put a stop to my friend’s constant nail splitting.
What are my trying to say here?
Often times, what we do with our hands matters a lot. If you’re that type whose hands are always submerged in water, then your nails are bound to split.
Most times, when I’m asked questions like “My fingernails keep splitting“, what do I do”
The first thing I’m forced to ask is, how often do you expose your hands to moisture?
Do you use nail hardener regularly? Or the most obvious one, do you pick at your nails?
Those are the first question You should ask if someone walks up to you on why his or her nails are splitting.
Because the aforementioned are the major cause or reason why fingernail split.
Having said this, let’s look at what nails are.
What Are Nails?
Nails are the visible part, usually at the tip of a finger or toe. They’re made up of a protein called Alpha keratin – the same protein with hair.
What Then Is A Split?
A split is a break or to cause something to break into pieces or parts.
What Is A Split Nail?
A nail is said to split when its subjected to stress or lacking some essential nutrients.
When nail split, they snag. That is, they catch or injure every damn thing that they come across with.
With that being said, let me ask, would you like to know the science behind the splitting of nails?
OK good. Let’s go.
The Untold Science Behind Nail Splitting
It is said that for nails to split, they must have undergone some sort of physical stress right?
But that alone can’t justify why they split. Here is the real deal why they do. I bet no one has ever told you this. Have they?
Recall we said earlier on that nails are made up of protein like material known as Keratin right?
This keratin, which is made up of amino acid and looking more like a coiled-coil contains sets of cells.
In each cell, they’re pores which are filled with air and water.
The air and water present in each pore within the cells are what gives the nail its turgid look.
When these nails are submerged in water for far too long, what happens is this.
The air and water present in the pores, found within cells that make up keratin evaporates.
When they do so, they leave the nail plate dry and extremely brittle. When the nails now come in contact with an object, they split.
So that’s about that. Now let’s look at types of nail splitting.
Recommended : Is Cuticle Oil Good For Nails? Find Out Now
Types Of Ripped Nails
Basically, they are a lot of crack in nails but for the sake of this article, we shall be looking at just two.
Vertical Nail Split
When there is a rip from the free edge of your nails down to the middle, such a rip is referred to as vertical or longitudinal split.
Nail Splitting Horizontally
A nail is said to rift horizontally when the rift cut across the nails horizontally or sideways.
Fingernail Keep Splitting: Causes
Nail crack or tear when they’re subjected to external pressure or trauma.
Although they are various reasons why a healthy looking nails may suddenly become dry and split.
Below are just a few of them
1. Nutrient deficiency
2. Overexposure of hands in water
4. Nail Hardener
6. Using harsh detergent
7. Health issues
8. Nail Polish Remover
1. Nutrient deficiency: Not eating the right diet that contains the right nutrient in the right proportion is one of the major causes of rift nails.
When your diet is lacking vitamins such as vitamin C found in oranges, iron, and minerals, your nails might tear every now and then.
2. Overexposure of hands in water: It is no longer new that when hands are submerged in water for way too long, nails loses its strength.
And when this happens, they’re bound to tear. This best explains why cleaners are the major group of people with onychoschizia
3. Trauma: During a snag, the pressure from that physical contact can hurt a lot. When this happens, it is likely that your nails will split.
4. Nail hardener: As you may already know, nail hardener adds some layers of coat to the nails to make them stronger.
Why this might not necessary calls for alarm, continuous usage might render your nails dry. What happens to dry nails? They split of cause.
5. Chemicals: Certain nail care products like nail polish are known to contain a lot of these harmful chemicals.
So when you apply or wear polish too often, it dries out the oil on your nails and renders them brittle. And when they do, they may rift.
6. Using harsh detergent: This is another cause of split nails. During washing, we tend to make use of these chemicals as cleansing agents.
Unknowing to us, they don’t only cleanse our dishes or clothes, they also strip our nails off the moisture thereby making them dry and liable to split.
7. Heath challenge: Health problems like Psoriasis, onychomycosis or diabetes can lead to brittle or split fingernails.
8. Polish remover: Acetone, being a major player in the nail world contains elements which may cause your nails too brittle.
If you must use nail polish remover, be sure to go after those ones that are free from those chemicals.
Recommended : How To Moisturize Dry Toenails : The Complete Guide
Your Fingernail Keep Splitting? Here Are Ways To Prevent It
They are obvious ways you can deliberately adopt to prevent and stop your fingernails from splitting every now and then..
One of the obvious ways is by keeping your nails moisturized with moisturizers like coconut oil.
Other methods you can adopt to prevent your nails from rifting parts include;
1. Eating healthy
2. Avoid nail biting
3. Moisturize more
4. Wear gloves
5. Keep nails medium-long
6. Using polish free from chemicals
1. Eat healthily: If you nail tear at regular interval, be sure to include food rich in vitamins or protein to your diet.
You can eat more vegetables like broccoli, spinach which is rich in vitamins.
You can also take more of whole grains, egg York, nuts, etc to strengthen and keep your nails in shape.
2. Avoid biting your nails: If you really want to see improvement in your nail health? Then you should stop biting your nails now.
Biting your nails will not only render and makes your nails prone to split, but you may also ingest a lot of bacteria which might be harmful to your overall health.
You can stop picking at your nails by coating them with bad tasting polishes or by wearing gloves.
Here’s an in-depth article I wrote a few months back on Nail-biting. You really should check it out
3. Keep nails moisturized: Keeping your nails coated with moisturizer can indeed retain and keep the health of your nails intact.
You can use moisturizers such as coconut oil, lavender oil, Shea butter, olive oil or jojoba oil to keep them in good shape and to prevent a subsequent tear.
4. Wear gloves: Putting gloves on while doing the dishes or laundries is another sure way of preventing your nails from getting dried up unnecessary.
So the next time you think of submerging your hands in water for too long, make sure your hands are well coated with rubber gloves.
5. Keep your nails medium-long: Extremely long nails can lead to a constant tear or split. So be sure to keep yours trimmed to your desired length.
They should not be too long, and most importantly, be mindful of the kind of nail shape to adopt as some leads to frequent splitting.
6. Use polish free from the chemical: Avoid using nail polished with harmful ingredients. If you must polish your nails, go after those ones that contain vitamins.
PS: Wearing polish for too long can absorb the moisture out of your nails leaving them dry and liable to tear.
More also, nail polish shouldn’t be worn for too long. Your nails deserve to breathe, give them the chance to OK.
With that being said, lets quickly look at some Frequently Asked Questions and provide answers to them.
Recommended : How To Moisturize Nails In 4 Easy Steps
What Causes Fingernails To Split Down The Middle?
Nails split when they’re subjected to external stress, health challenges, poor diet or trauma.
Onychorrhexis otherwise known as vertical split is the condition that occurs when fingernails tear down the middle.
How To Fix A Vertical Split Nail/Vertical Split Nail Repair/Split Nail Down The Middle
You can fix a vertical or horizontal split nail by using a teabag, tissue paper or just applying a base coat to the nails.
To fix, cut a teabag to the size of the nails, apply base coat then placed the tea bag on it.
Split Nail Down The Middle Treatment
The first approach to take is to wipe the surface with methylated spirit, followed by soaking the nails in warm salty water.
Do this for 3-4 days, if it doesn’t heal, its time to see a doctor for a proper check-up.
How To Fix A Split Nail Bed
Nail bed when splits can be fixed when its a minor tear. To fix, wash the surface with solution containing warm water and salt.
Thereafter, towel dry then apply antibiotic ointment to it. Cover with bandage to avoid bacterial from getting in.
Do this for couple of days until the nail bed heals completely. If problem persist, consult a doctor.
Nails Splitting Vertically Vitamin Deficiency/Splitting Nails Vitamin Deficiency
If your nails are constantly rifting, it could be that you lack certain vitamins.
What you need do is, incorporate more of vitamins in your diet and your nails will never slit again.
How To Fix A Split Toenail Beds
The best way to fix a split toenails is to soak them in solution of warm water containing salt.
Thereafter, apply few drops of Neosporin to it. Do this for 3-4 days until the bed heals.
PS: Always remember your toenails wrapped with wool and bandage to prevent infection.
Conclusion On Fingernail Keep Splitting
If you’ve read up to this point, you ought to have known by now that overexposure to water, trauma, health challenges or poor diet are the major causes of split nails.
Split nails are not something to be happy about and so we must do all it takes to protect our hands daily.
One way we can achieve this is by putting on gloves when doing household works such as laundries, avoid using harsh detergents and by keeping your nails moisturized always
If you can do this today, you’ll not only keep your nails in good shape, you’ll also prevent them from future tear and wear.
Please if you find this article interesting, do well to SHARE it with you friends.