Every product you see here has either been used by us or independently selected by (obsessive) editors. As an affiliate of Amazon, Anything purchased through our links may earn us a commission at no extra cost to you.
Contents On This Page
- 1 1. Wash Your Hands Properly
- 2 Here’s how to properly wash your hands, finger and under nails to protect yourself from contracting this virus.
- 3 Below Are A Few Of The Best Alcohol Hand Sanitizers To Use For Coronavirus
- 4 2. Desist From Nail Biting
- 5 3. Avoid Going To Salons And Do Your Nails Yourself At Home
- 6 How To Protect Yourself From Coronavirus Or COVID-19
- 7 Should I Cancel My Nail Or Hair Appointment Due To Coronavirus?
- 8 What Does Social Distancing, Quarantine And Self-Isolation Really Mean?
- 9 Can I Get Coronavirus From Nails?
- 10 Wrapping Up On Ways To Protect Yourself From Coronavirus
3 Ways To Protect Yourself From Coronavirus – Starting With Your Fingernails
Ever since the news of COVID-19, There has been an uproar among many as the said virus is increasingly spreading fast across various countries and there seems to be no “permanent cure” although reports have shown that a number of persons are recovering fast.
While there may be no “known” cure to this epidemic ravaging our dear country at the moment, health personnel has advised that we should not only take extra sanitation precaution on our health and safety but also, with those with whom we come in contact with.
According to Center for Disease Control, Coronavirus can be spread through various means such as air droplets, skin to skin contacts and the most obvious, through bacteria and one way we can harbour this bacteria is through our fingernails/under nails.
Our under nails carries more bacteria on a daily basis and it’s only wise that we stay safe especially this period of coronavirus outbreaks.
So if you’re wondering how to keep your under nails and your overall hand hygiene in tip-top condition, here are a few ways you can adopt to protect your self from contracting COVID-19.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links and we may earn a commission from Amazon from every quantifying sales made at no extra cost to you.
1. Wash Your Hands Properly
Washing your hands may not necessarily stop you from contracting the said virus – COVID-19, but will surely prevent you from having such to a large extent.
So why everyone is busy buying face mask in order to protect themselves, you shouldn’t just stop at that and that involves, paying attention to details.
You should dedicate more time also, to wash your hands, fingers and particularly your under nails at any given opportunity.
When washing your hands, take your time and ensures that there’s no dirt stuck under your nails.
Here’s how to properly wash your hands, finger and under nails to protect yourself from contracting this virus.
- Start by using water and antiseptic soap: While at it, don’t be in a hurry, one way to be sure you’re spending quality time washing your hand and fingernails properly is by reciting the Lord’s prayer or by reading aloud Psalm 23. I know how difficult it is to get that dirt underneath your nails but there’s a walk around and that involves using a quality nail brush. Here a link to an article I wrote on some of the Best Nail Brush you can buy on amazon.
- It doesn’t matter how much you wash your hands, if you don’t constantly keep your hands sanitized, then you stand a chance of contracting the said virus- COVID-19.
So as a rule of thumb, it’s important that you keep your hands sanitized with sanitizers which are readily available online.
In case you couldn’t lay your hands on any sanitizers and you probably want to make some for yourself, here’s a video for you below on how you can make yours at home.
2. Desist From Nail Biting
It’s no longer new that one way one can possibly contract this virus is through constant nail-biting. In fact, we’ve been advised to avoid touching our nose, eyes and mouth as well.
Not only does biting your nails means you’re ignoring the warnings but also means that you’re indirectly eating the bacterias that could possibly be underneath the nails.
Aside from going after your nails, inflicting injuries on any part of your finger (on the skin or cuticle) means you’re also exposing yourself and paving way for the virus, putting you at a greater risk.
So it’s best that you stop biting your nails at once to keep yourself safe from this deadly virus that has taken the world by surprise.
If you’re a nail biter and you’re probably looking for an actionable way to nail this bad habit for good, here’s an article on Some Of The Best Products To Help You Stop Nail Biting for good.
3. Avoid Going To Salons And Do Your Nails Yourself At Home
Health experts have already hinted that we should avoid public places as possible and this includes going to the salon.
What then happens to your manicure then? Well, your manicure and pedicure don’t have to suffer, there’s something you can do and that involves investing in quality nail clipper, some cool polish and of course, a nail file to file out rough edges and do your mani-pedicure yourself. (Here’s a link to an article on some of the Best Nail Files On Amazon)
Even if you haven’t done it before, below is a beginners video from YouTube to doing a manicure.
If you’re looking for some useful tips plus how to protect yourself from COVID-19, below are some few ways to achieve that.
- The virus is not airborne like example: Chickenpox. It is transmitted via fluids/droplets. Droplets are produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talk. The droplets then settle on a surface.
- It doesn’t get through your skin. If you touch a surface with the virus, then touch your face (mouth, eyes, nose, ears). You will be infected.
- They say you can survive for 14days without showing any symptoms. However, from what we have witnessed here, it can be longer. So basically we don’t know how long it takes, it depends on the person’s immune system.
- Money, bank cards and door handles are the biggest carriers of the virus. The most vulnerable will be people using public transport, banks and retail. (That’s why it’s important to constantly wash hands and before you eat).
- Soap and warm water should always be your first option. Do not worry about expensive soaps, any kind of Soap can destroy the fat/lipid layer surrounding the virus that gives it protection.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Trick (count 1-20 while4 at it)
- Hand sanitizer/disinfectant sprays are also an option, but they must at least have (60% – 90%) of alcohol.
- Disinfect every new package ( including mail) you receive and food items from the grocery store. Wash new clothing and wigs before wearing or leave under the sun for a few hours (heat destroys virus).
- Avoid crowded places and limit home visits. This is important, please.
- Everyone can be infected. I repeat, everyone stands a chance of being infected(every race and age). However, so far the most vulnerable are the elderly and those who already have other medical conditions. So the younger generations should try to do most of the errands and encourage our elders to stay at home.
Yes, you should cancel any appointment with your nail technician if you care about yourself and doesn’t want to add to the issue on ground.
People indeed can be infected without showing signs and symptoms and spending time in a crowded place like the salon is one way you can contract the said virus.
In fact, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that you should maintain 6 feet away from each other to prevent the spread of the virus and there’s no way your nail tech can attend to your nails if you stay this far from them.
For these reasons, it’s advisable that you cancel any appointment you must have made with your nail tech pending when things have gone back to the way they were.
So practising social distancing will help a long way to prevent or slow the rate at which the said virus will spread.
What Does Social Distancing, Quarantine And Self-Isolation Really Mean?
Social Distancing: People who have not been exposed to the virus
Quarantine: People who have been exposed to the virus and don’t have symptoms.
Self-Isolation: People who think they have the virus or have tested positive for the virus.
One of the ways you can possibly get infected with this virus is through your fingernails. Our nails (particularly the under nails) can harbour more germs than you can least imagine.
So in other to keep your self safe and free from this deadly virus ravaging our dearest country, it’s best that you keep your hand hygiene in tip-top condition.
How do you go about that? It’s easy. Always make sure to watch and sanitize your hands at any given opportunity. Also, avoid touching your mouth, face and nose with unwashed hands.
COVID-19 has been declared already by WHO as a pandemic and we don’t know how long it will stay but if there’s one thing I can promise you is that it will end sooner than you think.
While it’s still fresh and spreading very fast, it’s best that we protect ourselves and that involves maintaining proper hand hygiene and staying away from public places.
So stay safe and don’t forget to SHARE this post to enlighten others. God bless you as you do so. Cheers.